Holding a professional certification demonstrates to the public that you are qualified to work in the health promotion/wellness field and stay up to date in your practice throughout your career by participating in continuing education activities.
NWI applies the following definitions (derived from the National Commission for Certifying Agencies’ Standards for the Accreditation of Certification Programs, www.credentialingexcellence.org/ncca) to differentiate between a Professional Certificate Program and a Certification:
Certification is a voluntary process that grants a time-limited credential to individuals meeting predetermined standards for knowledge, skills, or competencies. The assessment of the individual applicant is independent of a specific class, course, or other education/training program. Certification holders must complete continuing education requirements to retain the credential.
Professional Certificate Program is a non-credential granting program that:
- provides instruction and training to aid participants in acquiring specific knowledge, skills, and/or competencies associated with intended learning outcomes;
- evaluates participants’ achievement of the intended learning outcomes; and
- awards a certificate only to those participants who meet the performance, proficiency, or passing standard for the assessment(s).
Certified Wellness Practitioners (CWP)
The National Wellness Institute's Certified Wellness Practitioner (CWP) designation symbolizes an individual's strong academic preparation, professional competency in wellness programming, and commitment to continuing education, scholarship and professional development.
The CWP credential is awarded to successful applicants from multiple disciplines and backgrounds such as health promotion, counseling, wellness coaching, nutrition, social work, nursing, and education who use a wellness approach in their practice.
- utilize wellness models to assess needs and subsequently design, implement, and evaluate strength-based interventions in partnership with individuals and populations;
- apply current theories and evidence-based strategies to foster intrinsic motivation and empower others to engage in wellness promoting activities;
- create wellness-enhancing environments through the initiation of organizational and cultural change in collaboration with an inter-disciplinary team.
CWP certification standards are continually reviewed and maintained by NWI’s Council on Wellness Certification Excellence (CWCE).
What are the benefits of becoming a CWP?
- National recognition of your academic preparation and professional competency in wellness
- Elevation of your reputation as a wellness professional among employers, colleagues, and clients
- Enhanced connections and community with an inter-disciplinary team of professionals
- A common understanding of wellness and a wellness-approach among wellness promoting disciplines
- Leadership opportunities that help shape the trajectory of the wellness field
- A five-year individual membership in the National Wellness Institute
What are the two ways to apply for CWP designation?
Individuals may apply for CWP designation in one of two ways:
- CWP for Wellness Professionals Application
- have demonstrated excellence in their careers and in their academic preparation
- have a bachelor's degree and five years of professional wellness experience
- are professionally engaged in the field of wellness, and
- are dedicated to enhancing the health and well-being of others
- CWP for Graduates of CWAE Accredited Academic Programs Application.
Qualified candidates must submit official transcripts indicating they hold a bachelor's degree and have graduated from a CWAE Accredited Academic Program in the past 24 months with a GPA of 2.75 or higher.
Please note: CWPs are selected through an application process; this is not a training program. A minimum of a bachelor's degree is required to qualify for CWP designation.
Certified Wellness Practitioner Policies & Procedures Manual
What are the re-certification requirements for CWP?
Click here for complete details on re-certification.