Train the Trainer Certificate: Empowered Health Consciousness
Individuals who earn a Train the Trainer Certificate through NWI will be able to use the tools, resources, and techniques provided in the certificate course to train students, employees, and clients in various settings in the topic presented.
Earn Your Certificate as a Empowered Health Consciousness Facilitator and be able to offer the “Empowered Health Consciousness & Prescription Drugs: The Wellness Alternative” training to others!
Adult use of prescription drugs can be a significant problem. Not only does it affect health and productivity, but parents with problems can also impact their children’s well-being. Wellness professionals can play a positive role in educating adults in primary prevention and about healthy alternatives to prescription drugs, when appropriate. We can empower people in their own health consciousness, so they can make healthier choices for themselves.
The National Wellness Institute’s new Train the Trainer certificate course—based on an evidence-informed program developed by Organizational Wellness & Learning Systems (OWLS), with funding from the U.S. Department of Health (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Agency, SAMHSA)—provides information and tools to bring health consciousness and prescription drug misuse awareness to the workplace and beyond.
To earn a Certificate as an Empowered Health Consciousness Facilitator, and be able to offer the “Empowered Health Consciousness & Prescription Drugs: The Wellness Alternative” training to others, participants must successfully complete all elements of the online certificate course and pass an online exam.
The “Empowered Health Consciousness & Prescription Drugs: The Wellness Alternative” course provides information about the risks associated with prescription drug misuse, emphasizes protective factors (at individual and social levels) that help to prevent misuse, discusses misuse problems in the workplace and solutions, and encourages health-conscious alternatives to prescription drug use.
Certificate course participants may use the slide deck, facilitator notes, handouts, case studies, and engaging Jeopardy-style game provided in the training in their own workshops, trainings, and client presentations. The tools are also very helpful for coaching individuals who may be at-risk for prescription misuse. Note: This is a course in primary prevention of prescription drug problems and NWI does not advocate use as an intervention or for treatment.
Download our informational flyer on the course
Certificate course participants—as well as the individuals they train—will be able to:
- define “health consciousness” (key to preventing prescription drug misuse).
- identify healthy alternatives that can diminish risks for prescription drug misuse.
- take steps to implement healthy options for themselves and others who may be at risk.
- use the above skills to reduce prescription drug misuse and abuse in their own or client's work setting or community.
Who should attend?
- Wellness coaches & coordinators
- Worksite wellness professionals
- Health educators
- Human resource & employee benefits professionals
- Employee assistance professionals
- Wellness brokers
- Motivational speakers
- Anyone wishing to offer training in health consciousness and prescription drug misuse
Each training includes a preview video, 2 facilitated online sessions, and an online exam. Participants will receive 5 continuing education credits (CEC)
Sign up early: Space is limited to 20 participants per training for the online program. Once full, you can register for placement on our waitlist to be notified if an opening becomes available. This course will be offered online quarterly.
Current NWI Members: $599 | Non-members: $649 (Join now to save!)
Spring Online Training
- March 14, 2018 Session 1; 12 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. CT
- March 21, 2018 Session 2; 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. CT
Summer Online Training
- May 30, 2018 Session 1; 12 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. CT
- June 6, 2018 Session 2; 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. CT
The onsite training is a 1 day intensive course, and an online exam. Participants will receive 7 CEC.
Current NWI Members: $699 | Non-members: $749 (Join now to save!)
Anaheim, CA Business Expo Center
- May 18, 2018 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
SAVE $100 when you attend both days!
SIGN UP FOR this training, as well as the Resilience & Thriving: The Secret Power of Stress training on May 17, 2018 and SAVE $100! (Select the "Combo" during registration to attend both training days, and you'll automatically receive the Combo rate.)
Current NWI Members: $1,298 for Combo or $699 per program | Non-members: $1,398 for Combo $749 per program (Join now to save!)
Sending a team of 3 or more? Call NWI at 715.342.2969 to learn how you can save $50 off each participant's registration!
Join our email list to be notified of additional trainings as they are scheduled.
Online Course Schedule
- Preview: A 30-minute video preview of core concepts and competencies related to the course sent to enrolled students at least two days prior to course start date
- Session 1 (12 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. CST): A 2.5-hour online live and interactive webinar that immerses participants in course content
- Session 2 (12 p.m. - 2 p.m. CST): A 2-hour review of course materials, logistics, fidelity, and evaluations
- Exam: A quiz following the video preview and a final exam are required for receipt of professional certificate and continuing education credit
Participants must have a reliable internet connection. A free download of Zoom web conferencing software is required for the online course. Audio may be accessed via phone, or via computer microphone and speakers (webcam optional).
All participants receive:
- An electronic copy of the core presentation slide-deck with facilitator notes
- All handouts, evaluation forms, and guidelines needed to replicate the training
- An Excel spreadsheet for tabulating pre- and post-ratings
- Follow-up access to the preview video and all session recordings
- An electronic copy of the course Jeopardy-style game
- A set of published articles that discuss and assess the training
Additional Course Information
- Students will take the multiple-choice final exam within 7 days of course completion
- Students may retake the final exam up to three times. Students who do not pass the final exam after their third attempt will be required to retake the course and pass the final exam to attain their Certificate as an Empowered Health Consciousness Facilitator.
Continuing Education Credit
Individuals who complete the training and associated exam may earn 5 continuing education credits (CECs) for the online training or 7 CECs for the onsite training toward certifications held at the time of the training (see below for organizations that have pre-approved this program for credit). A CEC certificate will be e-mailed to individuals who select their desired CEC certificate(s) on post-training evaluation form.
ACSM: The American College of Sports Medicine’s Professional Education Committee certifies that “National Wellness Institute, Inc.” meets the criteria for official ACSM Approved Provider status from (December 2015 – December 2018). Providership # 661228
NCHEC (CHES/MCHES): National Wellness Institute is designated a provider of Category I continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. The NWI Empowered Health Consciousness Train-the-Trainer certificate program is designated for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES) and Master Certified Health Education Specialists (MCHES) to receive 5 Category I (advanced) CECH for the online training and 7 Category I (advanced) CECH for the online training.
NWI (CWP): The Empowered Health Consciousness Train-the-Trainer certificate program has been approved by the National Wellness Institute for NWI Certified Wellness Practitioners (CWP) to receive for 5 Category 1 continuing education credits for the online training and 7 Category 1 CECs for the onsite training.
SHRM: National Wellness Institute is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. The NWI Empowered Health Consciousness Train-the-Trainer certificate program is valid for 5 PDCs for the online training or 7 PDCs for the onsite training for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org
General Attendance Continuing Education Certificate: National Wellness Institute-verified contact hours for continuing education credit/certificate of participation.
About the Presenter
Joel Bennett, PhD, is President of Organizational Wellness & Learning Systems (OWLS), a consulting firm that specializes in evidence-based wellness and e-learning technologies to promote organizational health and employee well-being. Dr. Bennett first delivered stress management programming in 1985 and OWLS programs have since reached close to 100,000 workers across the United States and abroad. He is primary developer of “Team Awareness” and “Team Resilience,” evidence-based, culture of health programs recognized by the U.S. Dept. of Health and the Surgeon General as effective in reducing employee behavioral risks. Clients who have used OWLS tools or consulting services include Southwest Airlines, Caterpillar Corporation, Carlson Restaurants (TGIF), National Electrical Contractors Association, Owens Corning, Wyndham International Hotels, Wellness Councils of America (WELCOA), American Council of Engineering Companies, and various health and non-profit community agencies. Dr. Bennett has authored over 20 peer-reviewed scientific articles as well as five books, including Raw Coping Power, Well-Being Champions, Time & Intimacy, Heart-Centered Leadership, and Preventing Workplace Substance Abuse.
Questions about this course? Email email@example.com
or call NWI at 715-342-2969.
Important Note: This training supports participant’s continued use, as medically prescribed, of prescription drugs. At the same time, it encourages participants to review how they use prescription drugs in ways that support their health and well-being. This training also will review processes and healthy lifestyles/alternatives that participants are invited to consider. Because knowledge in this area is continually growing, the course itself continues to change and welcomes input from all participants.