Become a Certified Wellness Practitioner (CWP)
Individuals may apply for CWP designation in one of two ways:
What does it mean to be a Certified Wellness
Your CWP credential signifies your competence as a wellness professional, through strong academic preparation and a commitment to continuing education and professional development.
Does my profession qualify to apply
for a CWP?
The CWP credential is awarded to successful applicants from multiple disciplines and backgrounds such as health promotion, counseling, wellness coaching, nutrition, social work, nursing, worksite health promotion coordinators, and educators who use a wellness approach in their practice.
How can I benefit from attaining my CWP?
- Get national recognition for your academic preparation and professional competence in wellness
- Elevate your reputation as a wellness professional among your employers, colleagues, and clients
- Build enhanced connections and community with an inter-disciplinary team of professionals
- Share a common understanding of wellness and a wellness-approach among wellness promoting
- Attain leadership opportunities that help shape the trajectory of the wellness field
- Receive a five-year individual membership in the National Wellness Institute
CWP certification standards are continually reviewed and maintained by NWI’s Council on Wellness Certification Excellence (CWCE).
Why do I need a certification in wellness?
Holding a professional certification demonstrates to the public that you are qualified to work in the health promotion/wellness field and stay up to date in your practice throughout your career by participating in continuing education activities.
NWI applies the following definition (derived from the National Commission for Certifying Agencies’ Standards for the Accreditation of Certification Programs, www.credentialingexcellence.org/ncca) to Certification:
Certification is a voluntary process that grants a time-limited credential to individuals meeting predetermined standards for knowledge, skills, or competencies. The assessment of the individual applicant is independent of a specific class, course, or other education/training program. Certification holders must complete continuing education requirements to retain the credential.
Certified Wellness Practitioner Policies & Procedures Manual
Re-certification requirements for CWP
Click here for complete details on re-certification.